Thursday, June 12, 2008

Needles

I am embracing needles the next couple months. In about a month I will be doing daily injections of hormones, most are SQ (small needles just in your fat) but a couple are IM (deep needles into your muscle). But I have decided to try another needle as well, acupuncture.

I have been reading daily about IVF and infertility and treatments etc, and over and over again I would find comments or references to acupuncture. Some IVF clinics even have it worked into their protocols. So I decided to research it some more and see what I can find.

Some sample journal articles, I could post alot more but I wont:
Effects of acupuncture on rates of pregnancy and live birth among women undergoing in vitro fertilisation: systematic review and meta-analysis: Manheimer E, et.al. British Medical Journal 2008 Feb 7. This was a meta-analysis looking at all the available, high quality acupuncture research. When taking all factors into account the investigators found that "acupuncture increased the odds of clinical pregnancy by 65% compared with the control groups."

Acupuncture on the day of embryo transfer significantly improves the reproductive outcome in infertile women: a prospective, randomized trial: Westergaard LG, et.al. Fertility and Sterility 2006 Apr 4; This study once again demonstrates that properly applied acupuncture results in IVF ongoing pregnancy increases of over 60%.


So today I called one of the local acupuncture clinics and set up a consultation to see what they had to say. So its a bit kooky I admit, but heck at this point I am taking any advantage I can get to have a healthy happy baby. And if these studies are non-biased and scientific, the large improvement in implantation and low miscarry rates are pretty impressive. My consult is next Tuesday (10/17) at 2pm so I will let you know how it goes. The office I am going to is run by a married couple. The man is an OB/GYN and the woman is a nurse practitioner in women's and family health.

3 comments:

Anonymous June 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM  

Good luck with your cycle, IVF and acupuncture. I've heard it works. I used mantras and positive thinking during my cycle - again, a little hokey, but every bit helps.

Anonymous June 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM  

Wow, Ali, you've amazed me yet again!! :) You have nothing to lose and it will sure be interesting. Can't wait to hear more. Good luck. xoxoxomomxoxoxo

Anonymous June 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

Mom says, "Nothing kooky about it. I've been going to acupunture for adrenal support every week for two months now after months of western medicine not working and I feel just about 100% (one side benifit being that my hot flashes have gone from about 30 a day to none)." We think of you all often and miss our Ohio families lots. Give everyone our love.

Amanda and Family

Blog Archive

Birthday Countdown

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Dexter's Growth

Birth (5/5/09) - 8 lbs 13.8oz - 20in
1 Month - 10 lbs, 11oz - 22in
2 Months - 11 lbs, 11 oz - 23in
4 Months - 15 lbs, 11oz - 25in
7 Months - 18 lbs 1.5oz - 28.8in
9 Months - 20 lbs 4 oz
1 Year - 22 lbs 9 oz - 29.9in
18 Months - 25 lbs 3 oz - 32.6in
2 Years - 27.8 lbs, 36 in
2.5 Years - 31 lbs, 37 in
3 Years - 32.6 lbs, 38 in
3.5 Years - 35.6 lbs, 39 in
4 Years - 36.6 lbs, 41 in
5 Years - 38.2 lbs, 42.75 in
6 Years - 44 lbs, 46 in
7 years - 49 lbs, 48 in

Labels

dexter (820) family (120) video (111) Fertility (59) cousins (56) cancer (49) school (40) speech (25) vacation (25) homebuilding (24) month update (23) christmas (20) dogs (20) sick (17) holiday (15) sports (15) halloween (14) milestone (13) Dan (10) birthday (10) friends (10) Adoption (8) General (7) signs (6) ali (5) cubscout (5) gainesville (4) motocross (4) race (3) volunteer (3) Book Review (2) moving (2) photography class (2) Adoption Family (1) Homestudy (1) Real estate (1) baby (1) balloon fiesta (1) boat (1) book (1) new mexico (1)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP