Wednesday, May 19, 2010

1 year checkup!

Today I visited my doctor. I like to go to the doctor's office. I get measured and people look in my ears and eyes and listen to my heart and lungs - it is all very fun. My weight is 22 lbs 9 oz (50%), my height is 29.9 inches (50-75%) and my huge head is 49cm (>97%). My oxygen sats were 95%.

I passed all of my one year milestones except physically still not walking by myself and verbally I haven't spoken 3 words consistently. My doctor isn't worried though since I can walk holding on to people or things and I babble up a storm, he just can't understand what I am saying. My ears were not infected for once but the eardrums look "dull" (Chronic ear infections can lead to verbal delays and balance issues...) so he is glad I am seeing the Ear, Nose, Throat doctor next month and getting my hearing tested next month.

Then the fun part ended. I went into the shot room where 2 nurses attacked me with needles! I got 5 shots in under 10 seconds (Hepatitis A; influenzae type b; Measles, Mumps, Rubella; Pneumococcal & Chicken Pox). I cried for like 5 seconds and then I got band-aids and I was happy again.

Then the really not fun part ended. I had to get blood drawn to check my hemoglobin & hematocrit level. I sat in line at the VA hospital (that is where the Air Force gets all the blood work down) for over an hour with all sorts of crusty old veterans in silly hats. I tried to make a few laugh or wave at me during this time but they were very serious or asleep in their chairs. Finally it was my turn and the lab guy put something very tight around my arm and then poked me with a needle! He poked and poked until he gave up and this other lab person wanted to try in my other arm! At this point I am screaming as loud as I can to try and get out of there but she got it and then wrapped both my arms in colorful tape and said I was a good & brave little boy. Which at that point I had to agree with her and stop crying. When I left all the nice old people were wide awake in the waiting room and this time they all smiled and waved at me to make me feel better.

I am now home and sleeping - but keeping one eye open until I can trust mommy not to bring me back to the needle pokers!



No more doctors for a while. I see a Dentist June 15th and the Ear doctor June 30th - mommy said no shots those days!

3 comments:

Sharon or Allan May 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

Interesting, but hard day for a little one. Tomorrow will be better. Love and Hugs, Grandfather

nana May 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM  

Poor baby! Love you, nana

emily May 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

I've been obsessing over words lately until a friend (who's a speech language pathologist) told me that syllables count. So when Belle says 'dia dia' when I'm changing her I'm totally owning it as 'diaper'. I don't care what any doctor says.

Blog Archive

Birthday Countdown

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Dexter's Growth

Birth (5/5/09) - 8 lbs 13.8oz - 20in
1 Month - 10 lbs, 11oz - 22in
2 Months - 11 lbs, 11 oz - 23in
4 Months - 15 lbs, 11oz - 25in
7 Months - 18 lbs 1.5oz - 28.8in
9 Months - 20 lbs 4 oz
1 Year - 22 lbs 9 oz - 29.9in
18 Months - 25 lbs 3 oz - 32.6in
2 Years - 27.8 lbs, 36 in
2.5 Years - 31 lbs, 37 in
3 Years - 32.6 lbs, 38 in
3.5 Years - 35.6 lbs, 39 in
4 Years - 36.6 lbs, 41 in
5 Years - 38.2 lbs, 42.75 in
6 Years - 44 lbs, 46 in
7 years - 49 lbs, 48 in

Labels

dexter (820) family (120) video (111) Fertility (59) cousins (56) cancer (49) school (40) speech (25) vacation (25) homebuilding (24) month update (23) christmas (20) dogs (20) sick (17) holiday (15) sports (15) halloween (14) milestone (13) Dan (10) birthday (10) friends (10) Adoption (8) General (7) signs (6) ali (5) cubscout (5) gainesville (4) motocross (4) race (3) volunteer (3) Book Review (2) moving (2) photography class (2) Adoption Family (1) Homestudy (1) Real estate (1) baby (1) balloon fiesta (1) boat (1) book (1) new mexico (1)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP