Friday, March 14, 2008

is it over......

Is today the last day Dan has to sit in that chemo chair for 5 hours? The last time he goes home with an IV in his arm? Is this weekend the last time I get to give him a WBC booster shot? (gotta admit I kinda like this part) Our world changed so much last December, the day the word cancer became a daily thought. Every song that comes on about love lost or sappy soap opera goodbyes that have seem to dominate Days of Our Lives of late have hit to close to home, my fear that I would loose Dan to this. Everyone says testicular cancer is curable, no problem, what a great cancer to get, etc doesn't have testicular cancer or have a husband with testicular cancer. I am confident that we beat this thing and in 3 weeks I guess we find out with his CT-Scan. But these months have been hard. I am proud of how Dan has gotten through it all, shocked by the number of people who have taken the time to write a good old fashioned get well card and thankful to the Air Force for their treatment and Dan's commanders for their constant checking in on his condition and his well being. The main treatments are done now. Dan has a short 15 minute chemo session the next two Mondays to receive his Bleomycin. A week or two later he gets a repeat Chest/Abdomen/Pelvis CT-Scan and appointments with Dr. Wood and Dr. Lewis. The goal for the next couple weeks is keep the chemo side effects to a minimum and avoid infections and enjoy Kathy's visit over the Easter weekend. We should know soon enough if Dan is in remission. Hopefully it is and we start moving forward with our small family. I have my surgery scheduled for April 22nd to remove the cyst on my right ovary. Assuming that goes well I assume I start the IVF treatments soon after. We are still moving forward with Korea adoption, as soon as Dan is cleared I will talk with my social worker and see where we stand.

Thanks again to everyone who reads this blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous March 14, 2008 at 5:05 PM  

I agree with Ali's comments - this has been like a bad dream. I still have trouble believing it's true. I also thank everyone who has asked about Dan, put him on their prayer lists at church, the 65 people at work who are sporting yellow bracelets, but most of all, to Ali who had the courage to stand tall next to him and be strong enough to weather the storm, to be his tower of strength.

Anonymous March 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

Regarding your ovarian cyst. I hope that you are having a gynecologic oncologist doing the surgery. They offer the best option when there are ovarian issues, on the off chance that pre cancerous cells are found.

I had a friend with a 'cyst', that ended up being ovarian cancer. I don't want to scare you, but I want you to be aware of the best surgical strategy. I know that you don't need more cancer in your life now.

EstaJ March 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM  

Dan, You surely don't remember me, but I remember you so well as a lively little boy in love with his motorcycle and watching you barrel around the dirt tracks in Florida. I just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers and I hope you can continue gaining strength each day. You have a fantastic wife and support system in Allison - whom Sherry thinks is FANTASTIC (her words). In your pictures you look so much like Kathy it is spooky. We lost your wonderful Grammy and then your Uncle Lee to the big C but this is not in your future - I can feel it. Hang in there!

Blog Archive

Birthday Countdown

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Dexter's Growth

Birth (5/5/09) - 8 lbs 13.8oz - 20in
1 Month - 10 lbs, 11oz - 22in
2 Months - 11 lbs, 11 oz - 23in
4 Months - 15 lbs, 11oz - 25in
7 Months - 18 lbs 1.5oz - 28.8in
9 Months - 20 lbs 4 oz
1 Year - 22 lbs 9 oz - 29.9in
18 Months - 25 lbs 3 oz - 32.6in
2 Years - 27.8 lbs, 36 in
2.5 Years - 31 lbs, 37 in
3 Years - 32.6 lbs, 38 in
3.5 Years - 35.6 lbs, 39 in
4 Years - 36.6 lbs, 41 in
5 Years - 38.2 lbs, 42.75 in
6 Years - 44 lbs, 46 in
7 years - 49 lbs, 48 in

Labels

dexter (820) family (120) video (111) Fertility (59) cousins (56) cancer (49) school (40) speech (25) vacation (25) homebuilding (24) month update (23) christmas (20) dogs (20) sick (17) holiday (15) sports (15) halloween (14) milestone (13) Dan (10) birthday (10) friends (10) Adoption (8) General (7) signs (6) ali (5) cubscout (5) gainesville (4) motocross (4) race (3) volunteer (3) Book Review (2) moving (2) photography class (2) Adoption Family (1) Homestudy (1) Real estate (1) baby (1) balloon fiesta (1) boat (1) book (1) new mexico (1)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP